Skip to content

Back to business

April 1, 2009

So Cambodia was fantastic, and we had a great time despite the searing heat, which soon lead us to be active in the early mornings and evenings, and sluglike between lunch and dinner. 2 days in the temples around Siem Reap, and then 4 days in the capital Phnom Penh, checking out the markets, the Killing Fields, and the royal palace and temples.

We took care with what I ate and drank – while I have travelled extensively in the past, pregnant women are meant to be very susceptible to gastro, and can’t use any meds if they get it. But I’ve come home with a clean bill of health, some great photos and good memories. In fact, I’ve been very lucky to have avoided morning sickness completely so far (particularly while we were away).

On our return, we started the business of shopping around for an obstetrician. The first, who we’ve decided to go with, was prompt, quick, friendly and completely unstressed by our trip away and my desire to keep up my fitness regieme, while the second kept us waiting for half an hour for the first appointment for the day, and proceeded to lecture me in detail about every aspect of pregnancy, even expressing surprise that I knew things like how the human body produces Vitamin D in sunlight.

The Baron attended these sessions patiently and had said that the decision was mine – but we got out of the second session and he exploded that we were not going to see her again!! I guess he can have an opinion after all, despite most decisions up to now being left to me.

The side benefit was that we got two views on an ultrasound of Peanut, and The Baron got to hear the heartbeat for the first time too. Peanut’s looking a little froggy at the moment (with two giant eyes on stalks growing out of it’s head. Or, those could be legs and we were looking at things upside down. I guess.

The next step is the risk test for Downs, which comprises a blood test at week 10 (I’m at 9 weeks now), and an ultrasound at week 12, to measure the nuchal transparency in Peanut’s neck. While this won’t give us a firm answer, it should indicate likelihood or not.

I’m really hoping that we get a nice ambiguous low risk, as this is one area that The Baron and I disagree on. He’s very much in favour of termination should we discover any abnormalities, and I’m…not so sure. It’s been a long road to get here, and I would find it very hard to simply end it – but then again, I don’t want Peanut to be in a position where it suffers due to ill health. So best to stay positive and assume that our low risk pregnancy continues to be so.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. April 2, 2009 2:21 pm

    Speaking of photos….you gonna flick me an ultrasound? And are you planning on finding out if it is a Peanut or Peanutless? If so

  2. April 3, 2009 4:59 am

    I’m really pleased that the Peanut so far is healthy and doing what all peanuts are supposed to do.

    I’m so jealous of you going to Cambodia, we’ve had to cancel our trip for now 😦 – what was your favourite place?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: